Students living in the residence halls should be familiar with the location of alarms and extinguishers. Report discharged fire extinguishers immediately by calling Public Safety Main Gate at 718-390-3148 or call the front desk of the residence hall.
If you discover smoke or fire…
1. Sound the fire alarm.
2. Go to the nearest exit and leave the building.
3. Call Public Safety at the Main Gate at 718-390-3148.
If you are in your room when an alarm sounds…
1. Feel the door and handle to see if it’s hot. If it’s hot, don’t open the door. Call the Main Gate at 718-390-3148 and/or open your window and call for help.
2. If the door is not hot, exit the building immediately through the nearest designated emergency exit.
As you are leaving the building…
• If an exit is blocked, try another exit or return to your room, close the door, open a window and yell for help. • If you are in a smoke-filled area, keep low to the floor to escape the smoke.
• Know all the exits and fire escape plans in your building. Students will be directed to the following locations for each residence hall:
o Towers: in front of Cunard Hall or on the Tennis Courts
o Harborview: Guild Hall Patio or Tennis Courts behind Towers Hall
o Guild: In front of Cunard Hall o Foundation: Behind Pape Admissions House
The Office of Residential Education conducts two fire drills each semester to ensure that all alarms are functioning and that students are aware of evacuation procedures. Each student room is equipped with a smoke detector and sprinklers. Individual students are responsible for reporting a malfunctioning smoke detector or fire extinguisher to the Resident Director or Resident Assistant on duty immediately through the front desk of the residence hall or the residence hall office.