The Department of Sociology at Wagner College offers a variety of programs of study:
Major in Sociology (BA) with a concentration in of the following areas:
- Academic Sociology
- Criminal Justice
- Family Studies / Social Work
Minor in Sociology
- Any 6 units in Sociology and/or Social Work
Minor in Civic Engagement
- MDS206 Civic Engagement Leadership
- One of the following: SW105, SW292, GOV230, or GOV312
- One of the following: EC102, PS116, SO233, AN306, or MA108
- One of the following:AN325, EN212, GOV104, GOV373, HI227, or PH109
- 2 Electives (see checklist for list of courses to choose from)
- MDS211 Civic Engagement Lab (2 Non-Credit Units)
Dual Major in Sociology & Anthropology / Childhood Education (BA)
The Sociology & Anthropology component includes 11 units:
- Sociology 103, 233, 234, 301 and 303
- Anthropology 101, 201, and one of the following: 234,235, 236, 238 or 251
- Sociology 343 or Anthropology 491
- Political Science 207 or History 225
- One elective at the 200-level or above from among the other courses offered in the department
The Department of Sociology & Anthropology at Wagner College offers a variety of awards to recognizing the achievement of our students.
Anita Volland Anthropology Award is presented to the graduating senior Anthropology major who most exemplifies in his or her work the vision of anthropology practiced by founding department member Anita Volland, emphasizing the importance of the four fields, the centrality of the culture concept, and great intellectual curiosity.
C. Wright Mills Sociology Award is presented to the underclass student majoring in the Department of Sociology & Anthropology who has demonstrated outstanding academic potential and embodies the spirit of the sociological imagination.
Hertha Troll Meyer Memorial Award is endowed by the family and friends of Hertha Meyer and is presented annually to the graduating senior in the Department of Sociology & Anthropology who best exemplifies the ideals of scholarship and service.
Ms. Kristen Whitaker, Secretary
Location: Parker Hall Room 211
Office Phone: (718) 390-3253 | E-mail: email@example.com